Volunteers are currently undertaking several exciting projects in Bute Forest. For more info see the Volunteering page.
We are looking for help with the following at the moment, including a day being filmed by Channel 4!:
- Allotment Shed Build – Friday 17th Feb – 9am – 4pm – The allotment shed should be finished on this day and ready for the new allotment plot holders to get digging!
- Work Area Build – Saturdays 18th Feb – April – 10am-2pm – Developing the work area for the timber milling business
- Shed Build – Monday 20th, Wednesday 22nd & Thursday 23rd February – Helping build a shed to generate income for forest events and activities
- Pond Clearance & Maintenance; Mountain Bike Trail Build; Tree Protection Work – Tuesday 21st February – 12 noon – 4pm – All hands on deck for the clearance of the two pond areas near the work area in the Rhubodach part of the forest, the next stage of the first mountain bike trail build and the removal of tree tubes from saplings. We want to open the ponds up and clear them of rubbish to enable people to see them better, make them a feature and improve the habitat for the wildlife and plants – we may even get ducks! This is going to be the Phoenix Centre Pond as they’re coming over to get this project started and will continue it over the next few months. The trees have outgrown the tubes and they need carefully removing to allow the trees to continue growing. The mountain bike trail needs debris clearing from it. This project day will be filmed by Channel 4 but not broadcast. They are doing some preliminary research into projects they may make a documentary on about regeneration projects. Projects they choose will be asked to contact the people in these research films to take part in later filming.
- World Forest Day – Wednesday 21st March – Rothesay Academy Primary School will be spending a day at the forest and we need a couple of people to help out setting up activities and on the day.
Also coming up:
TBC – Pond clearance – One qualified chainsaw user needed to work with experienced qualified chainsaw user Tim Stobart, to open up the areas around the ponds. This will be the start of a project to make these a feature and improve the habitat for wildlife and plants.
TBC – Mountain Bike Trail Build – This will need at least 4 volunteers over 2 days to help get the first planned mountain bike trail ready for use.
TBC – Children’s Wood Pixie Dell Build – Creating a feature for 3-7yr olds in a forest glade.
TBC – Bird Boxes – Putting new bird boxes up with the Bute Bird Group.
You may also be interested in….
Autism Training with Achievement Bute – Wednesday 15th February – learning how best to work with and support children and young people with autism.
Any additional ideas to build into the volunteering programme gratefully received.
Please let me know if you are able to help & please pass onto any interested parties.